Acts 16:16-18
Once while we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a
slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a
great deal of money for her owners by fortune telling. This girl followed Paul
and the rest of us, shouting, "These men are servants of the most high
God, who is telling you the way to be saved." She kept this up for many
days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the
spirit, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of
her!" At that moment the spirit left her.
This slave girl, who had lived so long
in captivity, is now free of this evil spirit. She is free of being used for
evil, but what now? We never hear any more about this young woman. While many
people probably just take this in stride and move on with Paul and Silas, I am
captivated by the future of this girl. What happened to her? Did her owners
release her? Did they kill her? I mean it's a legitimate question; she was no
longer useful to them, why did they want to keep her? Did Paul and Silas ensure
she was taken care of? I think this young woman fascinates me so much is
because I relate to her. I have been used, abused and discarded when I no
longer filled a need. I've stood there stunned by my new found freedom but
still lost and broken by being discarded. The bondage had become my normal, I
depended on it for my worth and value. I think we have all been there, held in
bondage and "possessed" if you will by one thing or another. When we
are set free, and Jesus will indeed set you free if you ask, we need someone to
come along side us and help us walk in that new freedom. So here is what I
think happened...
I
believe Paul made sure this young woman was safe, whether he purchased her from
her owners or they let him take her freely, he ensured she wasn't left alone. I
think the woman who had become followers of Christ and who were with Paul came
around this young woman and took her in. They explained to her what had just
happened, they shared the love of Christ with her, they taught her, discipled her and encouraged her. Titus 2:3-5 teaches us, "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent
in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but
to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their
husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be
kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the
word of God."
Woman of the church, we need to step up. Everyday we encounter
"slave girls" in our everyday lives. They need to hear the
message of freedom, they need to be loved on, taught, discipled and encouraged.
Through us God can transform a slave to a servant. What greater honor could
there be?
I believe this "slave girl"
became a servant of Christ. After all, no one can come face to face with the
saving power of Jesus Christ and not be changed!
No comments:
Post a Comment